Thursday, June 5, 2008

7 not out in Barmer!

I have completed 7 years of my stay in Barmer. Barmer has been my working place, my home for over 84 months. I still remember the day when I was entering Barmer for the first time- in a bus- from Jodhpur. I was coming here to report for my first job. I was exited! And I was making a promise to myself, ' whatever be the circumstances, how difficult be my job, I would stay here for at least 1 year'. One year! Seven years have gone. I have been a witness to a lot of change in the area-both in this small sleepy town and the other interior parts of the district.

Let me confess that I had never heard about Barmer before I was suggested by my interviewers to join in a small NGO based at Barmer. As it was going to be my first job, the excitement to join was too much to care about the place. In any case I had not expected it to be a grand placeThe truth is, that in my imagination the town was much smaller than what it actually was when I first saw it.

Barmer is a border district neighbouring Pakistan. It is a small town located at a distance of about 150 kilometres from Jaisalmer, and 200 km from Jodhpur.

Barmer has a history of about 800-900 years old. It is believed that the city was named after Bar Rao who ruled sometimes in the 13th century. The word is derived from: Bar+ meru= Barmer. Meru means fortress in Marwari. The place is famous for its dance and the music traditions. In the recent years it has found a prominent place in the export market on basis of its rich tradition in art and handicrafts. And very recently it has found a place in the Oil and Mineral map of the country and the world!

Through this blog I intend to take myself and all of you through the life, history and current affairs of Barmer. Documenting things that I have heard, learned and experienced during my stay here. I am not a 'writer' and hence I apologize here itself for all the grammatical, and literary errors/mistakes I am going to commit throughout the life span of this blog. A few lines from you would make the blog lively.


Shankar

4 comments:

Sundar Raj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sundar Raj said...

mmm... quiet interesting and awaiting for the captions of your journey.

Best

SUN :)

Anonymous said...

well...looking forward to what someone living in a place 'like' barmer has to say. Particularly one who has lived there for a long time. You seem an interesting person

Anonymous said...

good that you excitedly came to an new place and still exist here....any thouht over exit?

thinking of following this bolg to know Barmer....

jhingal